The Journey, May 2017
We had a fantastic time last weekend at New Wine Landmark RESOLUTE youth weekend. There were around 20 young people from Ulverston that went. The weekend was all about being AUTHENTIC and it was great seeing God at work in those young peoples lives. One girl from Lancaster, who came to faith, said this on her Instagram message which summed up for me what God was doing “So today I’ve spent all day at #nwlandmark17 and honestly it was amazing! I was literally moved to tears by some of what people had to say and its been the most extraordinary experience – I was in a room full of strangers and yet I felt so loved and included all day and I can’t thank everyone enough for that. The power of Gods love is real people. #iamauthentic #livingauthentically.”
Thanks for all your prayers and support for me over the past month. The operation didn’t quite go to plan so the recovery is a bit longer than I was expecting. My energy and pain levels are up and down. I only did half the weekend and for the past couple of days I have rested. The plan is to go back part time from 15th May and be back full time Please continue to pray for my recovery. I praise God for all those who have kept a lot of the youth work going whilst I’ve been away. I’m constantly reminded that we plant and water seeds but its God that does the growing!!
Thanks again for your prayers
Furness Network Youth Minister
Network Youth Church
We’re praying you into our parish right now #Coniston and #Torver
Vic Sekasi has just published the youth prayer diary for January.
We want to encourage you all this year to be expectant for the God of Surprises and miracles to do some incredible things!
Please add these prayers to your day.
Vic had just published the December Youth Prayer Diary
Here is a key to the youth groups Vic and her team support around the Furness Deanery:
Explore – Christian union at Ulverston Victoria High School run by Vic and Saga
Christianity Club – Christian union at Dowdales run by Vicki Bunter
Kirkby Youth– A group for young people in Kirkby run by a youth committee that employs Libby Cuthbertson.
Urswick Youth– A group for young people in Urswick run by Barbara Green, Gra-ham Perry and Steve Hobson. Formed out of a confirmation class.
Ignite – A discipleship group for young people run by Sarah and Mark Callaghan.
VISION,Energize Y & O & H20 – Four discipleship groups for youth in Ulverston run by Ulverston Parish Church youth team.
Big Questions – A philosophy group at UVHS & John Ruskin school where we dis-cuss the big questions of life. Run by Vic, Lisa (at UVHS), Thomas & Saga
The Vibe– A discipleship group for young people at Emmanuel Christian Centre run by Lisa Smith.
Meeting point, Broughton-A group for young people in Broughton run by Jenny, Saga, Chris and team.
NJOY, Coniston-A group for young people in Coniston run by Johann, Vic and team
Thwaites Youth – A group for young people in Thwaites run by Vic & team
Vic has introduced two new interns this month. Here is a summary:
“Hello, my name is Thomas, I’m turning 20 in September. I come from a small town in Norway, and I really looking forward to meeting you guys. I really enjoy playing music, I play piano, guitar and sing, and hopefully I can teach you some of it. I chose to travel to England because I wanted to share what I have gotten, in such as my journey with God, or my experience. And I love to be around new people, to talk with them and help them in anyway possible.”
“Hi, my name is Henriette Marie Saga, but almost everybody just calls me Saga. I’m 21 years old and from a small town south in Norway. I love to have something to do and I really love sports, and my favourite is handball. I also like singing and dancing. I believe that this year will give me new experience and new friends.
I really looking forward to meet you all in England and to be able to spend this year with you all.”
Pray for Thomas and Saga. Pray for youth.
Vik Sekasi has just published the August Youth Prayer Diary. August is a busy month. While others are taking a holiday, Vik will be moving house to Swarthmoor. Please hold her in your prayers at this time.
August Youth Prayer Diary
Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God Psalm 20.7
The theme for June is trust and Vic has put together a great diary for youth prayer in the Furness Deanery. Build your faith with the June Prayer Diary.
If God is for us, who can be against us! Romans 8:31
Vic has put together the March diary to pray for the youth of Furness Deanery.
Thought for the month from Tommy
Let’s be honest. Being a Christian isn’t always easy. Some would even say it is harder to be a Christian sometimes. We suffer, we experience hard times and pain. But is this God punishing us? No, I don’t believe it is. I believe it is God trying to wake us up! Trying to awaken us from this world and to acknowledge Him and seek to be with Him. In the book The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren quotes C.S. Lewis and says “Pain is God’s megaphone. It is God’s way of arousing us from spiritual lethargy. Your problems are not punishment; they are wake-up calls from God.” He wants us to wake up! To be awake together with Him in an intimate friendship.
Prayer Diary March 2016
Vic Sekasi has put together the latest Youth Prayer Diary, February 2016 .
Her latest letter is full of news and some call for personal prayer. Her Father is suffering from a personality changing dementia and Tommy’s Dad has a rare condition which has caused his aorta to expand to double the normal size with surgery required down the road. Health issues are never easy so pray for healing and God’s hand to open doors in these difficult times.
Some highlights from January, with the remainder of this directly from Vic:
- Building a team to organise the annual youth weekend away. It was great to hear all the amazing feedback from the young people from last year and then to see how great and committed the leadership team is to enabling the young people to explore the Christian faith.
- Being involved with Meeting Point (youth group in Broughton). We had a great leaders meeting this term followed by a great quiz. I loved seeing the leaders and young people having fun together and being competitive.
- It was great to see Charlie again. We had a great time catching up and also we went to see Lexi (one of the young people in hospital with anorexia). Do pray for Lexi as she has had a difficult month and has had a blip and lost weight again.
- We had some amazing testimonies at EMPOWER. It was great to hear how God had rescued 2 teenage girls from depression and suicide.
- We had a great opportunity to go into John Ruskin school in Coniston and do an assembly on BIG Questions. We got the whole school to write down a question – If God did exist what would you ask? We then started a club the following Thursday and had 16 turn up from every age group. We are using their questions to theme the club.
- Tommy led a great session on family at NJOY which was quite challenging for me never mind the young people. It’s exciting to see his gifts develop and grow.
In February we are looking forward to:
- Seeing some of the young people from the Youth alpha course we helped run at Low Furness get confirmed in Urswick. Do pray for Lily & Daniel
- A relaxing break ;-).
- Seeing the Big Questions at Coniston develop
- Thwaites Youth as we haven’t met yet since Christmas!
- Preparing ourselves spiritually as we go into the season of lent
Can you also pray for UVHS and Millom as they haven’t got back to me about the emails I’ve sent about lessons and prayer spaces.
Thanks again for all your prayers.
Vic (& Tommy)
Furness Network Youth Minister